We all experience rejection in one form or another in our lives. How we deal with rejection is the real issue.
Recently I have been rejected from several exhibits and while this hurts I remind myself of some of the following quotes from people who have dealt with this feeling of not being wanted or liked or really just appreciated. What is that feeling – disappointment, sadness, hurt, what it is I can’t define exactly.
Along with rejection are the comments one receives on their quilts when they are entered in shows. One of the first lessons I learned from my dear friend Melody Johnson was to NEVER read those comment cards that the judges write when you receive a quilt back from a show. You must always remember that judging is arbitrary and everyone brings their own feelings, aesthetics and values to the judging. If you liked the piece go forward from there.
1. I think that all great innovations are built on rejections.by Louis Ferdinand Celine French writer
2. I take rejection as someone blowing a bugle in my ear to wake me up and get going rather than a retreat. Actor Sylvester Stallone
3. I really wish I was less of a thinking man and more of a fool not afraid of rejection. Billy Joel musician.
4. I submit all my plays to the National Theatre for rejection. To assure myself I am seeing clearly. Howard Barker playwright
5. A rejection is nothing more than a necessary step in the pursuit of success.
6. Don’t let anyone, or any rejection, keep you from what you want.
Einstein, Elvis, Lincoln, Edison, J.K. Rowling all failed or were rejected many things before they succeeded.
I feel like I am in really good company when it comes to being rejected and I am proud to be a club member.
Just some of my work that has been rejected one place and gone on to win awards in other venues are…
To name just a few. Thanks for listening. Tell me how you deal with rejection. I think Ice Cream is good.