Level: Beginner to Advanced—One day—No sewing machine required
|Color is one of the reasons we love quilting, and achieving the abundance and variety of color is one reason we dye our own fabrics. The most dependable, light-fast and wash-fast dyes used by the industry are Procion MX Fiber Reactive Dyes, the same dyes used in this workshop. Participants will learn the techniques and dye formulas of 48 shades, introducing the flood of color that can be achieved with this easy dyeing method.
|Supply list for this class:
- $20 Kit fee includes, dye and chemicals, face mask and gloves.
Participants are responsible for:
- Old clothes, comfortable shoes, an apron and washcloth.
- 48 small lidded disposable plastic containers, such as Gladware ®, or small sandwich size zip-lock® plastic bags.These will each hold a quarter yard of fabric.
- 1 box of gallon ziplock bags
- 48 quarter yards of PFD (Prepared For Dye) or pre-washed white cotton fabric. (I can order a 100 yard bolt of PFD fabric for the group, which the group will pay for, to be delivered to a members home, where the members will rip it into pieces for the class)
- 1 Bucket that holds 3-5 gallons, 1 dishpan and 1 plastic bowl to dip your hands in
- 3 quart containers with a wide mouth and lid, preferrable NOT glass
- a set of measuring cups
- a set of measuring spoons. (These can be bought at the dollar store.)
- 4 large garbage bags
- old newspapers
- extra prewashed fabrics to dye in the afternoon – cotton, silk, rayon, t-shirts, socks….
- A box or laundry basket lined in plastic.The plastic containers with dyed fabric will be placed in this for the trip home in your car.
- a roll of paper towels
- The group as a whole is responsible for:
- clean up cleansers – Clorox spray and sponge
Special needs: Classroom must be equipped or have easy access to a hot water supply and utility sink that chemicals (non toxic) can be disposed into. Classroom needs to be appropriate for dying, group is responsible for covering any areas that need protecting.
Back to workshops list.